Small Business Online Reviews Part 1: Why Online Reviews Are Important for Your Small Business
Before you make a purchase, do you look for reviews about the product online? If you encounter terrible customer service, do you complain via the internet? How about when you have a great shopping experience, do you post a glowing recommendation for the business? Most of us can answer yes to one or all of these questions as we want and value insight into real customer experiences with a business or product before we purchase.
Today, online reviews are essential for your small business as the majority of consumers read online reviews before making purchasing decisions. Check out these statistics below to discover how important online reviews are for your small business’ success.
Importance of Online Reviews in Purchase Decision
With the majority of consumers searching the web for products/services, online reviews have become the next best thing to word-of-mouth. Check out some key statistics below that showcase the importance of online reviews in a consumer’s purchasing decision.
- 91% of consumers aged 18 to 34 say they feel they can trust an online review as much as a personal recommendation
- The average consumer wants to read approximately 10 reviews before trying a new a business
- 92% of consumers say they hesitate to make a purchase if they don't have access to reviews
- 82% of consumers of all ages read reviews for local businesses
Why Consumers Write Reviews
Consumers' reasons for writing reviews revolve around the customer experience.
- 25% leave a review after a very good experience
- 8% want to help the business or the community with their reviews
- 6% say the primary reason for leaving a review is to help other consumers
- 5% want to report a bad experience by writing a review about it
- 4% leave a review to inform the business about a matter
Impact of Online Reviews on Sales
According to a survey conducted by Dimensional Research, 90% of consumers admit their buying decisions are influenced by online reviews. Shoppers state that online reviews help them trust a brand and they expect a certain number of reviews per product when they search online.
What's more, according to a special report from Womply Research, businesses with more than 82 total reviews earn 54% more in annual revenue than average. In short, online reviews can drastically affect your bottom line. To learn more about how to collect online reviews, stay tuned for next week’s blog post!
At Igniting Business, our new reputation management services can help your small business manage online reviews and boost your search engine ranking. To learn more about our reputation management services, contact us today!